“Understanding the signs to look for and simply having the awareness that adder bites can and do happen could be enough to save a dog’s life.”
Science Communication Advisor at The Kennel Club, Nick Sutton, said: “Signs a dog has been bitten by an adder can include a small puncture wound, swelling, bruising, increased temperature, and sickness or lameness. Dogs that are bitten should be taken to a vet as soon as possible, leaving the bite alone in the meantime, as this could cause further complications.”
He also pointed the areas where dog owners should be more cautious.
“Adders are the UK’s only native poisonous snakes and are found in a wide range of habitats, so it’s crucial owners are aware of their surroundings when out and about or even in the garden, and keep an eye on their dog.